In the last post we started our series on catching big clients, or “fish”, that will sustain
your business over the long run. Today we’re going to take that a step further by talking
about how to understand and think like a big fish company and how that can help you
plan your approach and find success.
Before you can start the process of landing big clients, you have to make sure your
entire team is onboard with your approach and vision. There are six keys to finding big
client success. They are:
1. First Impression: You must remember you have one shot to land a big client. If
you make a mistake, they aren’t going to consider you again. Never give them a
reason to doubt your abilities.
2. First Priority: Your fish must always feel like they are your first priority. Returns
calls and emails immediately and find solutions to their problems or questions as
quickly as possible.
3. Flexible: You need to be flexible in your negotiations. If they need a special
service or for you to customize a product, say yes for the benefit of the long
term. A little hassle now will be a big pay off later.
4. Long-term: This goes along with the last one a bit. As you are approaching and
negotiating with big fish you need to think about the long term benefits for your
business. If you go for a ones-time big score you will lose their interest.
5. Have Fun: Work should be fun, even when trying to land big clients. In fact, this
should be the most fun. You are sharing your vision with new people and
including them in your future success and likewise. People simply work better in
a fun, happy environment. Your passion will also be contagious and pull the fish
into your vision even more.
6. Help Them: If you take just a little bit of time and offer your clients ways to save
money or time by introducing them to potential business partners, this will show
you really are invested and interested in their business. Strive to find balance
between your business needs and your client’s needs.
There are also a few tactics you can use to bring in a big-company vision to the people
on your team. You can:
Post these six keys for all to see.
* Put together a performance based incentive program.
* Conduct frequent team meetings.
* Use a “right now” policy that dictates big fish calls be answered immediately.
* Offer awards/recognition for big-company ideas and executions.
* Put together a training and certification program based on the six keys above.
These 6 keys and tips will help you instill a big-company mindset through your company
which will help you be more prepared and more likely to land your big fish. Once your
team is thinking this way, you’ll be unstoppable.
If you need help putting together an incentive program or other way to push your team
toward the big-company mindset, try our GUIDED TOUR to work with one of our
coaches or check out our resources and tools.